Reporting concerns

Each university member is expected to report actual or suspected violations of laws, regulations, VCU policies and procedures or other misconduct. Management has a special duty to recognize and report violations.

*Crimes should be reported to VCU Police at 828-1234 or through the web-based crime reporting form*

When you have concerns, you have options:

  • You may report violations or concerns to your immediate supervisor or department head, if appropriate.
  • You may call the individual responsible for the related compliance area, if appropriate. Please see the Compliance Advisory Committee section of this site for specific information.
  • You may contact the Office of the Ombudsperson at 804-827-4357 for confidential and informal dispute resolution processes.
  • You may call the VCU Helpline at 1-888-242-6022, or log a report online at www.vcuhelpline.com. Both of these options are anonymous and confidential, and available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
    • Call +1-(720)-514-4400 from Qatar to make a reverse charge/collect call. Give the name "VCU" instead of your name for anonymity.
    • If you previously submitted a concern through the EthicsPoint portal, please check for status updates here.
  • You may call or email the ICO directly at (804) 828-2336 or ucompliance@vcu.edu
  • You may call Virginia’s State Employee Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline available Mon-Fri 8:15am-5pm at 1-800-723-1615 or COVHotline@osig.virginia.gov.

Additional Reporting Options & Resources:


Emergency situations should be reported immediately to VCU Police at 828-1234 or 9-1-1.

Suspicious activity or crimes may be reported:

Data Breaches and Confidentiality
If you believe that someone without authorization may have accessed electronic files or records, immediately report the incident to the IT Support Center or the Office of Information Security.


Discrimination Based on Protected Class

Discrimination is the process of illegally treating people differently on the basis of protected class rather than on individual merit. This type of behavior may lead to a workplace environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating or abusive. Harassment based on protected class is also a form of discrimination. 

If you feel that you are being discriminated against, you have options for support and resolution:

Disability/Accessibility Issues

To report a campus or online accessibility issue, complete the Campus Accessibility Concern form and contact the ADA coordinator at ADAservices@vcu.edu.


Fraud, Waste and Abuse
  • You may report violations or concerns to your immediate supervisor or department head, if appropriate.
  • You may call the VCU Helpline at 1-888-242-6022, or log a report online at www.vcuhelpline.com. Both options provide university members an anonymous and confidential reporting option 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • You may call or email Audit and Compliance Services directly at 828-2336.
  • You may call Virginia's State Employee Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline available Mon-Fri 8:15am-5pm at 1-800-723-1615, through the online reporting form or by email at COVHotline@osig.virginia.gov.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)/Legal Requests

The university must respond within a specified time to these inquiries. For this reason, if you receive a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, you must notify University Public Affairs by calling 828-1231 or emailing FOIAVCU@vcu.edu.

For subpoenas, lawsuits and other legal requests, immediately contact the Office of University Counsel by calling 828-6610 to ensure a timely response.

Government Inquiries and Reviews

If a government official asks you to provide non-routine information or participate in an unannounced inspection:

  1. Do not begin searching for or copying documents, or taking any other action
  2. Immediately contact the Integrity and Compliance Office or the Office of University Counsel
Gender/Sexual Harassment or Sexual Misconduct

VCU is dedicated to creating a community that encourages the reporting of all incidents of prohibited conduct, and the prompt and fair resolution of complaints, in order to foster an environment of mutual trust and respect.

For additional details, please see the interim Sexual Misconduct/Violence and Sex/Gender Discrimination policy.

Immediately notify the university of possible sexual misconduct or gender/sexual harassment by contacting:

  • Laura Rugless, Title IX Coordinator, 828-1196 or titleix@vcu.edu
  • Cathleen Burke, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Employees, 828-0179 or ccburke@vcu.edu
  • Tammi Slovinsky, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students, 827-1963 or tslovinsky@vcu.edu
  • VCU Police 828-1234 (emergencies); 828-1196 (non-emergencies)

You may also report online using the Sexual Misconduct/Violence and Sex/Gender Discrimination Incident Reporting form located on the Equity and Access Services Title IX website.

Research Misconduct

Research is an integral and essential component of our mission. University members who are involved in research activities are expected to understand and follow all relevant laws, regulations and policies.

Misconduct in research and scholarly activities violates our ethical standards. Anyone who becomes aware of a possible incident of research misconduct by a member of the university must immediately notify the Research Integrity Officer in the Office of Research and Innovation at 827-2157.

Suspected Child Abuse or Neglect

Suspected Child/Adult Abuse or Neglect:  All persons employed by VCU, who suspect child abuse or neglect in their professional or official capacity, are to report as soon as possible, but not longer than 24 hours after having reason to suspect a reportable offense to:

  • The local department of the county or city wherein the child/adult resides or wherein the abuse or neglect is believed to have occurred
  • The Virginia Department of Social Services toll-free child abuse and neglect hotline at 1-800-552-7096 or adult protective services hotline at 1-888 832-3858
  • One of the VCU reporting mechanisms listed at the top of this page; the university will make the report to VA Department of Social Services. Please note this may cause a delay in reporting during non-business hours; therefore, it is best to report directly to the appropriate local city or county department or main office for the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Threats or Threatening Behavior

If you suspect a potentially violent situation at VCU, consult the Threat Assessment and Violence Prevention policy for reporting procedures. For convenience, incidents of concern may also be reported via an online form located at https://students.vcu.edu/resources/safety/.

Emergency situations should be reported immediately to VCU Police at 828-1234 or 9-1-1.

For information on assisting distressed students, visit https://students.vcu.edu/resources/safety/.

Workplace Injuries/Accidents

All accidents and injuries must be reported to your supervisor at the time of the incident.

An accident report form must be completed by the employee and his/her supervisor. The form is then forwarded to the Occupational Safety Coordinator for review. It is important for all accidents, no matter how slight, to be reported and that the form to be filled out completely. This ensures that all potential hazards are identified and that the information is available for trend analysis.

Questions about workers compensation or accident reporting may be directed to the VCU Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) at 828-0040 or visit the OEHS website

For more information about workers' compensation, call 828-1533.


Examples of violations that should be reported include suspected or actual:

  • Cases of fraud, waste or abuse
  • Violations of governmental regulations
  • Violations of ethics
  • Violations of VCU policies and procedures

All reports must be made in good faith and are protected from retaliation by the Duty to Report policy, and state and federal whistleblower protections.

Reports made to the Helpline are handled and investigated by the Integrity & Compliance Office, with assistance from other areas as needed.